Discover is a free program offered by Front Up and based in Seven Hills in Western Sydney. It is an 11-week program led by Western Sydney artist George Tillianakis, and Front Up assisting artist Rosalind Stanley. Discover aims to facilitate aspiring artists to explore various art practices.
Who is this program for?
This program is ideal for creative people between the ages of 17 and 35 with disability and/or the experience of mental health concerns. They are creatives who are interested in developing their current skill sets and engaging with professional artists and educators to work towards furthering their education and employment opportunities.
What will participants be doing?
The program will kick off at the Art Gallery of NSW where participants will discuss and respond to exhibiting works from the Unpainting and Henry VR exhibitions. The following week, participants will head down to Artspace based in Woolloomooloo to discover the Keg de Souza exhibition and meet members of the Artspace team.
From there, artists will be working at the Front Up Hub, based in Seven Hills, under the mentorship of artist George Tillianakis and assisting artist Rosalind Stanley. The focus will be on developing and creating visual artworks responding to the Unpainting, Henry VR and Keg de Souza exhibitions.
Discover will have a final exhibition, where participants will present their works to the community, family and friends at the Front Up Hub.
How will participants benefit from Discover?
- Gain valuable information and insight into different art practices
- Develop a deeper understanding of professional development within the arts
- Discover Art Gallery of NSW and Artspace exhibitions, meet staff educators and learn about best creative practices
- Develop teamwork skills
- Build self-esteem and confidence
- Expand networking, employment and educational opportunities
What are the dates, times and locations?
Discover runs from Wednesday 4 July to Wednesday 12 September. The program is 11 weeks and includes a final community outcome. Workshops run from 10 am to 2 pm including a 45-minute lunch break from noon to 12:45 pm (please bring your lunch).
- Workshop 1: 4 July at Art Gallery of New South Wales, Art Gallery Road, The Domain, Sydney. For more on the venue, visit here.
- Workshop 2: 11 July at Artspace, The Gunnery, 43-51 Cowper Wharf Road, Woolloomooloo. For more on the venue, visit here.
- Workshop 3 and remaining 8 workshops: 18 July to 12 September at Front Up Hub, 7/11 Rowley Street, Seven Hills
What about parking?
There is drop-off parking at the back entrance on Bassell Lane. Or, park on Rowley Street and enter via the Ability Options office and take the lift to the first floor.
How can I find out more and apply?
This page was first published on 15 June 2018.