Disability Confidence Training Workshop
Designed for arts, culture and events workers, this introductory workshop is all about helping you and your team improve how you connect with and support people with disability or who are d/Deaf.
1 in 5 Australians live with disability, making them a significant market segment for providers of arts and culture. In this workshop you’ll:
- Discover practical solutions for making your organisation disability confident
- Receive useful resources
- Learn from trainers with disability who are arts experts
- Enjoy the increased accessibility and convenience of online training
- Be able to interact with our trainers as well as other participants, so you can ask questions and share knowledge
- Come to our public workshop or book a private in-house session
- Key disability legislation and government bodies, including the Disability Discrimination Act and the Disability Inclusion Act
- Creative solutions to delivering inclusive and accessible arts and culture programs
- Identifying and mitigating access barriers
- Best practice for customer service, language and etiquette
- Inclusive communication skills and policies
Workshop Dates & Times
This workshop is 90 minutes + 30 mins pre-workshop activities. Prior to the session we’ll send you links to a video to watch and a questionnaire to complete. This will take about 30 minutes. All up, the full experience is 2 hours.
- Wednesday 16 December | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://dctwkshop16dec2020.eventbrite.com.au
- Wednesday 17 February 2021 | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://aartsdctwkshop17feb2021.eventbrite.com.au
- Wednesday 17 March 2021 | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://aartsdctwkshop17mar2021.eventbrite.com.au
- Wednesday 21 April 2021 | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://aartsdctwkshop21apr2021.eventbrite.com.au
- Wednesday 19 May 2021 | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://aartsdctwkshop19may2021.eventbrite.com.au
- Wednesday 16 June 2021 | 10am – 11:30am | BOOK NOW: https://aartsdctwkshop16jun2021.eventbrite.com.au
Contact us for information about workshops after June 2021.
- $95 (+ GST + BF) per person
- 10% discount for bookings of 3 or more!
Our workshops are delivered using the Zoom video conferencing platform.
- Zoom is an easy to use, reliable and FREE cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat, and webinars across mobile devices, desktops and telephones.
- If you haven’t used Zoom before you can find out more here: https://zoom.us/
- After signing up for our workshop, you’ll receive an email from us inviting you to a Zoom meeting on the date of the workshop. On the day of the workshop, all you have to do is click on the relevant link in the invitation, follow the prompts and you’ll be part of the workshop.
If you have any questions about participating, contact Liz Martin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closed captioning and Auslan interpreting are available on request. Please advise of your access requirements during the registration process.
We can design, create and deliver private in-house training for your organisation at any time. The workshop can be conducted online, at a venue of your choice in Sydney or regionally, or at our offices at The Rocks in Sydney. Get in touch and we’ll get you sorted.
Why Choose Us
- Arts Specific: We’re experts in arts, culture and disability with over 33 years of experience in helping organisations improve their accessibility, so we understand the challenges and opportunities which arts organisations encounter.
- Disability Led: Our trainers have lived experience of disability which provides an authentic edge that makes a world of difference.
- Cost Effective: We understand the budget constraints under which many arts organisations operate, so we ensure our prices are the most competitive in the market.
Who We Work With
Our workshops are suitable for:
- Arts and cultural organisations
- Festivals and venues
- Not-for-profit and government agencies
Every year we train up 1000 people from big organisations and venues right through to local government teams and small independent operators. Our training clients include:
- Sydney Opera House | Art Gallery of NSW | Blacktown Arts Centre |Musica Viva
- Sydney Film Festival | Sydney Festival | Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences
- Museum of Contemporary Art | Biennale of Sydney | City of Sydney | Inner West Council | Georges River Council
Below are some testimonials from workshop participants:
- “The training was engaging and helped our company learn more ways to improve and expand accessibility, both within our team and with what our festival offers to the community.”
- “I love that the training is done by people with disability. The first-person perspective is invaluable.”
- “A fabulous session which has made being disability confident much more achievable! Thank you so much – really appreciate your expertise.”
- “Thank you for providing this session. I am determined now to make some important changes within my organisation.”
- “The training really opened our eyes to how we can improve in areas we didn’t even realise needed improving. Thank you!”
- “It was great to get a much better understanding of how to engage respectfully and appropriately with people with disability.”
Find Out More
If you have any questions or need help with making a booking, contact us at email@example.com or call on 02 9251 6499.
Images: Online training workshop participants (credit: Liz Martin)
Accessible Arts logo for web news