Activated Arts Program/Podcast
Get turned on to a different kind of creativity!
Activated Arts is a 2RPH Radio show and podcast – produced in association with Accessible Arts – that explores and showcases the unconventional talent and distinctive work of professional arts practitioners with disability.
Join presenter Anthea Williams (pictured above) and outstanding artists and arts workers from right across the creative spectrum for entertaining, enlightening and provocative discussions about art, culture and disability. Each program looks at a specific topic, bringing in guests to unpack that topic in creative and surprising ways, while discussing their work and arts practices. The program also includes a round-up of relevant news and events.
So switch on and transform your understanding of art, culture and creativity.
When & Where
- Every Friday fortnight (starting from Oct 9 2020)
- 2:30pm – 3pm
- 2RPH (Sydney: 1224AM or 100.5FM | Newcastle/Lower Hunter: 100.5FM)
The Activated Arts podcast is available on all major platforms (see below) on the first Friday of every month as well as the 2RPH website (www.2rph.org.au):
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/activated-arts-on-2rph/id1534660647
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkLnBvZGJlYW4uY29tL2FjdGl2YXRlZGFydHMycnBoL2ZlZWQueG1s
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6cpwWzZt5ESHnE4jjdPWI5?si=xURFZfLPShikQFPcgHqgaA
- Tune IN/Alexa: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts–Culture-Podcasts/Activated-Arts-on-2RPH-p1372773/
- Listen Notes: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/activated-arts-on-2rph-2rph-SQNLUd9BYRo/?fbclid=IwAR0xk31R2U6NjQEyqSSXNQXkHC5U6ovVd8RjvHndwPZ_I_YGvOrqJMLbBYM
Activated Arts #12 ( Fri 13 August 2021)
- Radical Hospitality via Mixed Blood Theater| This month Anthea chats to Actor and Director Regan Linton and research and marketing expert Robert Ley about Radical Hospitality and Mixed Blood. Mixed Blood Theater is a theatre company in Minneapolis USA which Anthea visited in 2018. The theatre proudly stage they are: DEDICATED TO REMOVING ANY AND EVERY BARRIER WE FIND. She was astounded by the company.
- https://mixedblood.com/| Phamaly Theater Company
- What’s On:
- Arts Activated Conference: https://touchpoint.eventsair.com/arts-activated-2021/
- 2021 Exhibition: https://2021exhibition.art/
- Stars in 3D: https://events.canberra.com.au/whats-on/60cff64fc668fbd12f04036a/stars-in-3d
- Transcript: 210813-activated-arts-ep-12-radical-hospitality-via-mixed-blood-theatre
Activated Arts #11 ( Fri 16 July 2021)
- Bus Stop Films | This month Anthea chats with Bus Stop Films CEO Tracey Corbin Machett and Actress / Filmmaker Audrey O’Connor. Bus Stop Films have made over 50 films in their 12 years, but they’re also on a mission to make the whole industry more inclusive.
- Bus Stop Films
- What’s On:
- Rawcus with choreographer Marc Brew: https://rawcus.org.au/productions/forever-home/
- West Space: https://offsite.westspace.org.au/
- Arts Activated 2021: https://touchpoint.eventsair.com/arts-activated-2021/
- Arts Activated Program Page: https://www.2rph.org.au/program/sydney/friday-1/activated-arts
- Transcript: Ep #11 Bus Stop Films
Activated Arts #10 ( Fri 18 June 2021)
- Screenability | This month Anthea talks with filmmakers Emily Dash and Shawn Spina about one of her favourite initiatives, Screenability. Each year Screen NSW supports three filmmakers with disability to make a short which is shown at the Sydney Film Festival. The results have been spectacular.
- Groundhog Night: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/groundhog-night
- Prone to the Drone: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/prone-to-the-drone
- Safety Net: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/safety-net
- What’s on:
- Sarah Hopfinger: Pain and I: https://takemesomewhere.co.uk/sarah-hopfinger-2021
- Transcript: Ep #10 Screenability
Activated Arts #9 (Fri 21 May 2021)
- The Consultants | Consultancy can sometimes be a contentious issue in the arts and disability space, especially in relation to issues such as lived experience and authenticity. So this month our show host Anthea Williams talks with Tom Middleditch, a Co-Director of arts and neurodiversity company A_tistic and Matthew Field, CEO of The Attitude Foundation which works to improve representation of people with disability in the media.
- What’s On: https://www.2rph.org.au/program/sydney/friday-1/activated-arts
- Transcript: Ep #9 The Consultants
Activated Arts #8 (Fri 23 April 2021)
- The Invisible | In conjunction with The Sydney Writers’ Festival, this month Anthea will be talking with writers Kylie Maslen and Jacinta Parsons. Both Kylie and Jacinta have written remarkable debut novels about their Chronic Illness and living with an invisible disability. These books are insightful, wise and achingly honest and in the show Kylie and Jacinta talk about not only why they had to write them but also what they hope will change in the medical industry and media.
- https://www.kyliemaslen.com/ | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacinta_Parsons
- What’s On:
- Awaye, Black Blood and White Tears: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/awaye/black-blood-and-white-tears/13304624
- Legs on the Wall, Trestle: https://www.legsonthewall.com.au/news/2021/4/15/highlights-from-trestle
- Transcript: Ep #8 The Invisible Transcript
Activated Arts #7 (Mar 2021)
- Comedy & Disability | This month Anthea talks to comedians Alistair Baldwin and Madeleine Stewart about comedy, disability, growing up disabled and hippotherapy. They discuss the specific experience of being disabled from birth and if that increases you chances of becoming a comic or just makes you less likely to be seen as a sex object. Also, what they would like to see change in the entertainment industry.
- Transcript: Ep #7 Comedy & Disability Transcript
Activated Arts #6 (Feb 2021)
- Back to Back | Over the past 30 years Back to Back has been one of Australia’s most successful and awarded theatre companies. They have travelled across the globe at Festivals in the USA, Europe, Asia and beyond. And all from their home base in Geelong Victoria. The Company says that they question assumptions about what is possible in theatre but the assumptions we hold about ourselves and others. This month Activated Arts talk with ensemble members Simon Laherty and Ingrid Voorendt.
- What’s On | This month in the What’s On we meet a new member of the Activated Arts team Hanna Cormick who regular listeners will remember from episode 4, Value Shift. We discuss all things access including Gutted by Restless Dance Theatre, the lack of digital access at the Adelaide Festival and a newer form of audio description available via 3ply.net.
- Transcript: Ep 6 Back to Back Transcript
Activated Arts #5 (Jan 2021)
- Casting, Representation and Sia’s Film Music | When the trailer for Sia’s film Music staring Maddie Ziegler playing a character on the Autism Spectrum the Disability Community was generally horrified. Sia bit back asking people to see the film before they judged it. So that’s just what we did. This week I speak with Sophie Smyth and Bridie McKim, two brilliant actresses who identify as living with disability, Sophie with Autism. We discuss the film, casting and the broader ramifications of representation.
- Recommended Articles by people who are Actually Autistic
- John in The Shot: https://theshot.net.au/entertainment/australias-media-utterly-failed-autistic-people-in-order-to-defend-sia/?fbclid=IwAR09xfxwnOTiEmNhxaMAt6wXT4dxUdA3hUZlqCaVMSFycQ5loMcjE5mbruc
- Mickey Rowe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/themickeyrowe
- Transcript: Casting Represention and Sias Film Music Transcript Ep 5
Activated Arts #4 (Jan 2021)
- Value Shift | Anthea talks with artist Hanna Cormick. In 2015 Hanna Cormick was living in Paris and working as a physical performer with a background in dance, circus and interdisciplinary arts. Now Hanna is a wheelchair user and due to a number of acute allergic reactions she spends much of her time at home and must when a full-face mask when in public. But her arts practice has deepened and the values behind her work have radically shifted. This month we spend a full episode talking to this remarkable artist. https://www.hannacormick.com/
- What’s On: The Sydney Festival is upon us and Accessible Art’s very own Liz Martin is performing as part of it, live at the Seymour Centre and live streamed: https://www.sydneyfestival.org.au/events/into-space-between-notes
- Transcript: 210114 Activated Arts Ep4 Value Change
Activated Arts #3 (Dec 2020)
- Embracing Disability | Anthea talks with Asphyxia, writer of the remarkable novel Future Girl, and Sarah-Vyne Vassallo, choreographer, director and Artistic Director of Integrated Performance Company Murmuration. They discuss how their work and practice changed when they embraced Auslan or living with disability.
Asphyxia, Writer, Visual Artist, Circus Performer and Musician | https://helloasphyxia.wordpress.com
- Sarah-Vyne Vassallo, Choreographer, Director, Performer and Consultant | http://www.sarahvynevassallo.com/
- In the what’s on Anthea and Liz discuss brilliant films that cast people with disability currently.
- The Re-Frame short films on ABC Iview | https://iview.abc.net.au/show/re-frame
- International Day of People with Disability Film Festival | https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/explore/whats-on/events-in-detail/international-day-of-people-with-disability
- Transcript: activated-arts-embracing-disability-transcript
Activated Arts #2 (Nov 2020)
- Writing The Self | Anthea talks with writers Fiona Wright and Anna Jacobson about their work and how their writing has helped them and those around them understand complex disability.
- Download Transcript: Activated Arts Transcript Episode 2
- Fiona is a Poet and Essayist | https://www.fionawright.net/
- Anna Jacobson is a polymath – a writer, visual and video artist | https://www.annajacobson.com.au/
- In the What’s On Anthea and Liz discuss Deluge and Ingress
- Deluge is an online collaboration between artists from Australia, Hong Kong and the UK | https://disabilityarts.online/events/disability-arts-online-presents-artist-presentation-11-deluge-2020-international-digital-live-art-sound-performance-online/
- Ingress is Jeremy Hawkes solo exhibition at the Lismore Regional Gallery, Nov 28 – Jan 10 | https://lismoregallery.org/cp_themes/default/page.asp?p=DOC-PVX-34-2800#.X5exAogzZPZ
- Transcript: activated-arts-transcript-episode-2
Activated Arts #1 (Oct 2020)
- Pandemic | Anthea talks with Anna Barnes and Esther Hannaford, Lead-Writer and Actor from ABC series Retrograde, and Allison Reynolds, Paul Calcott and Jeffery Wood Visual Artists working on the radically accessible 2020 Exhibition about creating arts and entertainment in reaction to the pandemic.
- Download Transcript: Oct9 Activated Arts Full Show Transcript
- Retrograde| https://iview.abc.net.au/show/retrograde
- 2020 | Live from 22 October | www.2020exhibition.arts
- Archibald | https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/archibald-wynne-sulman-prizes-2020/
- Down the Line | https://www.artsaccess.com.au/events/down-the-line/
- Transcript: activated-arts-transcript-episode-1
Image: Activated Arts producer and presenter Anthea Williams (Credit: Brett Broadman)